Friday, May 10, 2013

Women Studies Blog #2 - Race, Gender & Intersectionality


“In attempt to work out a synthesis, the self has added a third element which is greater than the sum of its severed parts. That third element is a new consciousness—a mestiza consciousness—and though it is a source of intense pain, its energy comes from continual creative motion that keeps breaking down the unitary aspect of each paradigm.”
-Le Conciencia de la Mestiza, pg 101-102

The overall bridging theme of Combahee Collective, La Güerra, La Consciencia de la Mestiza and La Prieta is the struggle of intersectionality as briefly discussed in class. These women are writing about the crossroads and multiple barriers they face as women, women of color and their sometimes unaccepted sexual orientation.

As referenced in the quote above, there is one thought described by Anzaldua that all of the pieces come together and sort of morph into this other being that defies all other definitions, transcending through multiple layers and preconceived notions of race, gender, class and sexuality. She describes this new thinking pattern of duality to be the answer to the segregation between any two groups; male and female, black and white.

In the Combahee Collective, the focuses is lent to the struggle factors facing women of color, specifically black women. The stigma of being the perceived lesser sex, being black, being poor puts these women into a multiple marginalized category. Their focus was to bring these women whom lived this experience everyday and mobilize a movement to pull themselves up from the bottom.

Both La Guerra and La Prieta focus more on the way women of color cope with intersectionality. The way women try to blend within different groups so that they don't feel as marginalized. Hiding your femininity with men, ignoring your ethnicity when among whites to avoid those uncomfortable conversations.


I personally enjoyed all of the readings and found my struggle written in their words. I do believe all women are oppressed in certain ways and I find it especially difficult to present my womanhood, my blackness, my religious beliefs and values at all times without conflict or marginalization. Even when I am amongst other women of color, a lot of times our value systems are different. Amongst my white peers, I may watch my “blackness” as to not offend anyone. In a classroom, I will keep my religious beliefs to myself as to not be labeled or considered closed minded. I can totally relate to that isolated feeling and that fear of always being controversial and different just by virtue of having my own set of ideas and thoughts.

A quote from the collective stood out to me; If Black women were free, it would mean that everyone else would have to be free since our freedom would necessitate the destruction of all the systems of oppression.”

In the end we must navigate this life truthfully and balance everything that makes us an individual. Hopefully becoming fully who we are meant to be, learning from others and teaching someone along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment